15 July 2016

20 Seconds of Insane Courage


A few nights ago, I watched We Bought a Zoo for the second time. Not only was it the perfect feel-good movie for a cold winter’s night, but it also got me thinking…

“You know, sometimes all you need is 20 seconds of insane courage. Just literally, 20 seconds of embarrassing bravery and I promise you, something great will come of it”        -  Benjamin Mee

I often stumble upon quotes or ideas that alter my perspective in some way, but very rarely do I make changes in my life, based on these small revelations. However, this was one of those weird and wonderful ‘aha’ moments that really seems to have stuck with me. It is so easy to let opportunities pass you by in fear of failure or embarrassment, but sometimes all it takes is a hint of courage and spontaneity for something amazing to happen.

Next time you find yourself wanting to do something, but making excuses in the face of fear, I encourage you to embrace the inspirational words of the beautiful Matt Damon (or more likely the film writers) and just see where 20 seconds of insane courage can take you…

Say hello to the attractive barista who makes your morning coffee, or the friendly old woman on your bus.

Order something new, cut your own hair, volunteer your time, start your own blog!

Swallow your pride, reach out to old friends, forget your routine, say ‘yes’ to new things – what is the worst that could happen?

It is often said that courage is not the absence of fear but the ability to continue in spite of fear. Be inspired, be spontaneous, be embarrassingly brave, for just 20 seconds, and I promise you, something great will come of it.


Much love xx

2 comments:

  1. This is such a cool idea! I need to do stuff like this more often. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you! Yeah, definitely - best of luck!

      Delete